Another of Lilian Bland's c.1908 wonderful photographs, this time of the home of Sir Peter French, on Market Street.
On the 1651 map of the city this doorway is marked as the house of Sir Peter French. He actually died in 1631, but as the builder and original owner of the house, it still bore his name. The left handed spandrel contained the French coat of arms and the right hand spandrel had the Browne coat of arms. The decoration on the frieze was of a beautiful design, but while the pattern was carried around all the other angles, it was a curious circumstance that in the centre, it was broken for the sake of the insertion of the Burke arms. During the 19th century, this building was known as De Burgo’s Mansion.
This magnificent doorway would be on the right of the facade of the Connacht Tribune offices as you look at it today. It was a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and design, and it is a great shame it is not there any more. It probably led into a yard where one could have stabled horses and stored a cart or a trap. Notice the flags on the footpath outside the doorway and the cobblestones on the path to the left and right.